Plan your journey ahead
- Try to wake up earlier to get your vehicle winter ready for the snow, ice and cold.
- Plan alternative routes in case of road closures.
- Wear comfortable and dry footwear.
- Check your engine coolant tank when your vehicle is stationary and not switched on. Apply a mixture of antifreeze and water to prevent the engine freezing over.
- Check your fuel consumption! There should be at least a quarter of fuel available.
- Check for worn or damaged wiper blades, it’s essential they work to increase your vision of the road.
- Switch on the ignition to warm up the engine whilst you scrape away the snow and ice from your vehicle using de-icer and a window scraper.
- Don’t forget – The roof, bonnet and lights front and back, last thing you need is snow falling onto your windscreen and windows as well as reduced visibility!
- Ensure your number plate is clean to avoid fines.
Drive safely in the snow
- Switch on your headlights in poor visibility.
- Use your fog lights if visibility is impaired to more than 100 metres. Remember! Switch your lights off when visibility has improved to prevent dazzling other drivers and to ensure your brake lights are clear.
- Pull away safely and slowly to avoid skidding.
- Keep a safe stopping distance of up to 10 times than normal on icy and wet roads.
- Keep a safe gap between you and the vehicle in front when you are uphill or downhill.
Eurofit Autocentres offer a comprehensive Free Winter Health Check to prepare you for the snow, ice and cold weather conditions.